The Colorado State Patrol is investigating an accident that fatally injured a pedestrian.
On November 1, the 26-year-old man was walking along Colorado 115 about three miles west of Florence. Around 5:30 a.m., a pickup truck traveling eastbound struck the pedestrian. The driver stayed with the victim, and paramedics pronounced him dead at the scene.
CSP does not believe that alcohol or speeding were factors in the crash. Police believe the driver simply did not see the young man, who was walking down an unlit portion of the highway wearing dark clothing.
Pedestrians are some of the most vulnerable users on the road, due to their slow speed and exposure to the elements. Even in low-speed collisions, pedestrians can sustain traumatic brain injuries, paralysis or even death.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
Sadly, there is no surefire way to protect pedestrians from distracted drivers, but here are a few ways pedestrians can make themselves more visible to motorists:
- Always use sidewalks when available.
- Carry a flashlight.
- Wear reflective materials or bright/light colored clothing.
- Cross streets at well-lit intersections.
- Stand clear of hedges, parked cars and other obstacles before crossing the street to make sure that drivers can see you.
- Assume drivers do not see you. If a car approaches too quickly or does not respect a yield sign, allowing space for the driver’s mistake could mean the difference between life and death.
Every driver has a responsibility to stay alert and aware on the road. Unfortunately, small mistakes or reckless decisions can mean the difference between life and death for pedestrians, so they have to work harder to protect themselves.
Car Accident Attorney in Colorado
If you have been injured by a reckless driver, in any way, the attorneys at Metier Law Firm can give you advice about your legal options. Schedule a free consultation today, or follow our firm on Facebook or Google Plus.
Metier Law Firm, LLC – Injury Attorneys Serving Clients Nationwide