University of Colorado Bans Hoverboards for Campus Dorms

Consumer product safety can avoid injuriesHoverboards have been grabbing headlines for causing fires and injuries to consumers. The self-balancing scooters were this year’s hot selling holiday product, but also one of the most dangerous.

Hoverboards were being mass produced in China, where relaxed manufacturing regulations are rampant. Not long after the product arrived in America, reports of exploding batteries began to gather traction on social media, and it was not long before news organizations picked up the story. In some cases, exploding batteries caused house fires and injuries to consumers.

A Louisiana family lost their home when a hoverboard exploded without warning, igniting nearby walls and draperies. YouTube videos show many other cases where hoverboards burst into flames.

The negative media attention, investigations from consumer watchdogs and continuing accidents have prompted officials at the University of Colorado at Boulder to enact a ban on hoverboards in dorms. Officials claimed they banned hoverboards for the same reasons they do not allow candles or other flammable devices to be used in dorms.

Students who have been interviewed by local press outlets claim many of their friends received hoverboards for Christmas, alluding to the product’s massive popularity. It is likely future cases of explosions and injuries will continue to gather attention in the press. For the people who have already been injured or lost their homes, overseas manufacturers and domestic retailers must be held accountable.

How You Can Avoid Being Hurt by Dangerous Products

Hoverboards are not the only dangerous product being sold online. It is important for consumers and parents to stay informed on products that can cause injuries. Fortunately, the Consumer Protection Safety Commission’s website has information on dangerous products for both consumers and parents.