Late last month, NBC 9News in Denver reported the results of an analysis of local traffic data concerning the worst intersections for pedestrian-car accidents. The report was compiled by 9News’ 9Wants to Know from information provided by Denver Public Works from pedestrian accidents between 2010 and 2012.
According to the data, pedestrian-auto accidents from 2010 to 2012 led to nearly 650 pedestrian injuries and 23 pedestrian deaths. In addition, of the 10 worst intersections for car-pedestrian accidents in Denver, five are on East Colfax Avenue. Traffic engineers blame the high volumes of motor vehicles that use Colfax for it being featured so often in the rankings.
The five Colfax intersections in the top 10 worst intersections for pedestrian-motor vehicle accidents includes:
- Colfax and Broadway – 11 accidents (5 injured)
- Colfax and Franklin – 4 accidents (1 killed, 3 injured)
- Colfax and Grant – 4 accidents (4 injured)
- Colfax and Lincoln – 4 accidents (2 injured)
- Colfax and Valentia – 4 accidents (3 injured)
However, this list does not include the site of a hit-and-run accident back in February of this year that nearly killed a 16-year-old student. The student was attempting to cross the street at a crosswalk near the intersection of Colfax and Elizabeth on her way to East High School, when she was struck by car. Since this nearly fatal car accident, the city has installed a new, brighter traffic signal along that stretch of road and new signs to better warn drivers of pedestrians and the school zone.
That is a step in the right direction, but that is just one intersection along Colfax and not even one of the top five or even one of Denver’s top 10, which, beyond Colfax, also includes:
- 20th and Market – 5 accidents (3 injured)
- 13th Avenue and Broadway – 5 accidents (2 injured)
- Federal and Kentucky – 4 accidents (3 injured)
- 38th Avenue and Tennyson – 4 accidents (3 injured)
- 10th Avenue and Federal – 4 accidents (3 injured)
Sometimes you cannot even walk down the street without running into trouble. Our national accident lawyer understands that and has worked tirelessly over the years defending pedestrians just like you who were the victims of pedestrian-auto accidents.
For more information on how we can help you, contact us today at (866) 377-3800 to schedule a free consultation.
Metier Law Firm, LLC – Injury Attorneys Serving Clients Nationwide